How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wendy Reed Your Own Question
Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3346
Experience:  15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wendy Reed is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how do you remove a dependent on tax amendment

Resolved Question:

i have a daughter that was not supposed to be on my taxes it was not removed before my return was filed so I must file an amended return removing her from my taxes
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Wendy Reed replied 9 years ago.

You will fill out Part 1 on page 2 of the amended return. This is for an increase or decrease in the number of exemptions. Your correct # XXXXX be one less than original. On page 1, you will refigure all the amounts due to the change--Taxable income, tax, possibly credits should change.

Under Explanation of changes, list her name and social security number with "Removal of Dependent" You also need to explain the changes for each line on page 1 that shows a change. If any forms or schedules have changed as a result of removing your daughter, such as Schedule EIC, Form 8812, etc. These new forms will need to be submitted as well.

Here is a link to the instructions for IRS 1040X. You should file ASAP and pay any resulting tax due:

Wendy Reed and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
on part 33 it asks for dependents (children and other) not claimed on original(or adjusted) return do I put her info there or the child I am claiming
Expert:  Wendy Reed replied 9 years ago.
No, this is only if you are adding dependents to the amended return, not subtracting them.