How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bill Your Own Question
Bill, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3153
Experience:  EA, CEBS - 35 years experience providing financial advice
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Bill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter has received Social Security benefits for 10 ...

Resolved Question:

My daughter has received Social Security benefits for 10 years in an account in her name due to my wife''s first husband''s death. She will be 18 in 3 weeks. Can we transfer those funds to our account to pay for her college, and what tax implication will that have?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Bill replied 9 years ago.

No, you should not transfer those funds to an account in your name. The funds should remain in your daughter's name and used for her benefit which would include college expenses. Her SSN should be on the account and any income generated in the account is taxable to her.


Bill and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you