How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marvin,EA Your Own Question
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1672
Experience:  Enrolled to Represent Taxpayers Before The IRS
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Marvin,EA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband is on disability from the railroad and is

This answer was rated:

My husband is on disability from the railroad and is recieving disability. The railroad stated that he does not have to file income taxes on this. I have found out that if I earn a income that he will have to file and pay on those taxes. My question is: Is it 40,000 combined income or if I just earn 40,000 in income not including his disability payments
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. Was your husband railroad payment reported on Form RRB-1099?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Report 50% of his railroad benefits with your wages. If 50% of his benefits and your wages is between $32,000 and $44,000 up to 50% of his railroad benefits are taxable. If combined income is above $44,000, 85% of his railroad benefits are taxable.
Marvin,EA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you