How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jim Revels Your Own Question
Jim Revels
Jim Revels, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 210
Experience:  Providing income tax / planning services for over 16 years on all entity and individual tax issues
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Jim Revels is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I file my taxes in the US, CA. I am employed and get a ...

Customer Question

I file my taxes in the US, CA. I am employed and get a regular salary. 2007 I received some rental income from Germany: about $6000 minus $2000 in expenses for the rental property. I use Turbo Tax, but I don''t understand whether I need to report it and how to do it. They say that "...rents or royalties are considered earned income only to the extent representing reasonable compensation for services performed" Does it mean that I don''t need to report it? What do I do? I want to get my taxes right. Thank you.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Jim Revels replied 9 years ago.

Thank you for choosing Just Answer. You are correct you do need to report the income form the rental in Germany as well as the deductions. The income and deductions shold be reported on Schedule E (Rental Income), Additionally, you should be able to depreciate the cost of the property over 27.5 years. Turbo Tax is pretty good stepping you through the input screens.


Kindest regards