Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I took a loan to move my dance studio and pay for the ...

I took a loan to...
I took a loan to move my dance studio and pay for the architect and contractor to build it out. I show a gross loss and don''t see the deduction/refund. I thought the expense was tax-deductible. Where do I list the cost on my tax returns?
4/2/2008
Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. Are you a sole proprietorship, partnership, corporation? Do you have other taxable income?
Reply to Marvin,EA's Post: I am sole proprieorship

I am the owner of the dance studio and that is where I generate income.

What other taxable income do you mean?
Interest income, wages?
Reply to Marvin,EA's Post: I don't have interest income, but do pay myself as part of the payroll through the business

When business deductions exceed business income, an Net Operating Loss (NOL) may occur. I think you have a NOL. What type of tax software do you have?

Reply to Marvin,EA's Post: Yes I do have a NOL. I have successfully used Turbotax Home and Business for several years, but this is the first time I have had expenses like this.
Have you ever had a NOL before?
Reply to Marvin,EA's Post: No
I do not think you software can perform NOL. You are going to need a tax professional to process your NOL. It cannot be done online. But for now, complete the tax return. Attach the following statement to the return: "The taxpayer elects to waive the NOL carryback period under Section 172(b)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code." This will let you use the losses you had for 2007 in next 20 year.
Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent