How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29558
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am separated from my wife (not legally) and she has ...

Resolved Question:

I am separated from my wife (not legally) and she has claimed the deductions for the home and children. My question is, if I am married filing separately can I deduct the monthly support that I give her? Also is there any other options I should be looking at?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 9 years ago.

In order to be treated as alimony (and be deductible on your tax return), payments made you made to your ex-spouse) must meet all these requirements:

  • they must be in cash, check, or money order.
  • they must be made under a divorce or separation document.
  • neither you nor your ex-spouse must state in the divorce decree that the payments would not be treated as alimony for federal income tax purposes.
  • you and your ex-spouse may not be living in the same household when the payment is made after a final decree of divorce/separation is issued.
  • you obligation to make payments should be terminated without any liability if the recipient dies.
  • You and your ex-spouse may not file a joint tax return.
  • None portion of the payment may be considered a child support.

Please see for reference IRS publication 504, Divorced or Separated Individuals -

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
if my wife has already taken all of the deductions i.e. interst on morgage, exemptions for the children, is there anything I could claim other than myself?
Expert:  Lev replied 9 years ago.

If part of the mortgage interest was paid by you of from jointly owned funds - you are entitled to claim that expenses on you r tax return.

You a child lived with you more than half of the year - you may claim that child as a dependent. In this situation if you paid more than half the cost of keeping up your

and if you lived apart from your spouse during the last 6 months of the tax year - you would be considered unmarried for tax purposes and may use a head of household status.

Lev and 4 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you