Lou
Lou, Tax Preparer
Experience:  25+ yrs Experience Personal Income Taxes - Former DM for H&R Block in California
8893033

I donated an electric wheelchair to a 501(c)3

Customer Question

I donated an electric wheelchair to a 501(c)3 charitable organization during 2007. It was only slightly used, and sold new for $5265. I have no way to appraise it, but am certain it was in very good condition. How much should I indicate on my Form 8283 for fair-market-value (FMV)?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lou replied 9 years ago.

Hello,Customerand thank you for contacting Just Answer. We appreciate the opportunity to be of service to you.

Contact the manufacturer of the wheelchair and see if they can give you some idea as to its' value.

or

Here is a link to a Supplier of Used Medical Equiipment:

http://www.medical-supplies-equipment-company.com/

You may find the make and model there and use that as your reference or contact them to see if they can help.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
The make and model are:
Merits
P314

I've been unable to find any actual numbers online at used med equipment sites. There's an auction on ebay for $1400, is this a reasonable number to use for the deduction?
Expert:  Lou replied 9 years ago.

Here is the link to the contacct information including phone numbers of the site I sent to you.

http://www.medical-supplies-equipment-company.com/contact.asp

However if all else fails I would print out and document the ebay price and use it.

Expert:  Lou replied 9 years ago.
Did you receive my answer?