How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lou Your Own Question
Lou, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 404
Experience:  25+ yrs Experience Personal Income Taxes - Former DM for H&R Block in California
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lou is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter and her boyfriend live together and take care ...

Resolved Question:

My daughter and her boyfriend live together and take care of two children, one is there''s and the first one is hers. Isn''t there a status they can claim together that falls into that catagory?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lou replied 9 years ago.

HelloCustomerand thank you for contacting Just Answer. We appreciate the opportunity to be of service to you.

How much does he earn?

How much does she earn?

Is either of them of them on public assistance?

Does the father of her child claim that child as a dependent?


Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Lou's Post: He earned $8,662 (had an accident was out on disability) another story
She earned $7,770
My daughter gets food stamps an medical care for the children
The father of her child does not claim him as a dependent-he's a loser.
I hate to see the $5,000+ in day care go down the drian in my name because I can't ask her to let me claim him as a dependent. He lives here more than there-you know. But I want her to have the best advantage possible
Expert:  Lou replied 9 years ago.

Based upon the income of these two people neither of them has to pay any Federal taxes. If each files Single with each taking a child as a dependent.

Georgia does recognize 'common law' marriages as long as the union was established prior to 1/1/97.

If they have been together under GA law prior to that date then they may qualify for Married Filing Joint status. But I am not an attorney and I cannot speculate or give advise on this matter.

You should check with the State of Georgia to see if they qualify. If so then they could combine their income and dependents for Federal tax filing purposes.

Here is a starting point for you:


Unfortunately I know of no way you can get a tax break of any kind because the child does not live with you.

Lou and 4 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Lou replied 9 years ago.
Did you receive my answer?

Related Tax Questions