Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My daughter and her boyfriend live together and take care ...

Customer Question
My daughter and her boyfriend...
My daughter and her boyfriend live together and take care of two children, one is there''s and the first one is hers. Isn''t there a status they can claim together that falls into that catagory?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
4/2/2008
Tax Professional: Lou, Tax Preparer replied 9 years ago
Lou
Lou, Tax Preparer

HelloCustomerand thank you for contacting Just Answer. We appreciate the opportunity to be of service to you.

How much does he earn?

How much does she earn?

Is either of them of them on public assistance?

Does the father of her child claim that child as a dependent?

Reply to Lou's Post: He earned $8,662 (had an accident was out on disability) another story
She earned $7,770
My daughter gets food stamps an medical care for the children
The father of her child does not claim him as a dependent-he's a loser.
I hate to see the $5,000+ in day care go down the drian in my name because I can't ask her to let me claim him as a dependent. He lives here more than there-you know. But I want her to have the best advantage possible

Based upon the income of these two people neither of them has to pay any Federal taxes. If each files Single with each taking a child as a dependent.

Georgia does recognize 'common law' marriages as long as the union was established prior to 1/1/97.

If they have been together under GA law prior to that date then they may qualify for Married Filing Joint status. But I am not an attorney and I cannot speculate or give advise on this matter.

You should check with the State of Georgia to see if they qualify. If so then they could combine their income and dependents for Federal tax filing purposes.

Here is a starting point for you:

http://www.nolo.com/article.cfm/pg/2/objectId/709FAEE4-ABEA-4E17-BA34836388313A3C/catId/697DBAFE-20FF-467A-9E9395985EE7E825/118/304/192/FAQ/

Unfortunately I know of no way you can get a tax break of any kind because the child does not live with you.

Lou
Lou, Tax Preparer
Did you receive my answer?
Lou
Lou
Lou, Tax Preparer