How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wendy Reed Your Own Question
Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3346
Experience:  15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wendy Reed is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I deduct mortgage interest and taxes paid if I lived in ...

Resolved Question:

Can I deduct mortgage interest and taxes paid if I lived in the house and paid for the mortgage and taxes? My tax accountant told me I could include it on my tax return as a deduction. I live in the state of Texas.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Wendy Reed replied 9 years ago.


Yes, you may deduct mortgage interest and property tax paid during the year on your Schedule A that accompanies the 1040.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Wendy Rieger's Post: Please let me clarify - I was not on the deed of the house and the mortgage was in my boyfriends name, whom I have lived with for over 10 years.
Expert:  Wendy Reed replied 9 years ago.
I am sorry, did not realize that. You must be a legal and equitable owner of the property in order to take the deduction. You may not deduct the property tax and mortgage interest if you are not on the deed and have no other legal claim to the property, even if you paid the interest and paid the tax.
Wendy Reed and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you