How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I sold a piece of real estate in 2007 that was owned by 4 ...

Resolved Question:

I sold a piece of real estate in 2007 that was owned by 4 people, this would be considered a LT Cap Gain. Should i divide the sales price and cost basis by 4 when filing my schedule d??
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 9 years ago.


yes, you are permitted to allocate the cost basis and sales price and other expenses realted to capital gains.


Ed Johnson and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
The answer is a tad cryptic but overall, acceptable. When I file my Schedule D for a long term cap gain, i will only account for 25% of the sale and cost basis.