How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Michigan. I did some computer consulting ...

Resolved Question:

I live in Michigan. I did some computer consulting work for a company in Iowa from my house in Michigan. Do I need to file a tax return in Iowa for the wages earned from the Iowa company?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 9 years ago.

Dear bruxbvoort6,

If the work was perfomed in iowa, even virtually, and the emlpoyer was in Iowa, you have to pay iowa taxes. You will file an Iowa non-resident return.

then second you will file a resident return in MI, claiming world wide income, where MI will give you credit for Iowa taxes.

Ed Johnson and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you