How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marvin,EA Your Own Question
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1672
Experience:  Enrolled to Represent Taxpayers Before The IRS
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Marvin,EA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Does this make me an independent contractor

This answer was rated:

I earned $250 as a mystery shopper in 2007. Myhusband and I file a joint return. Where do we report this and how? Please be specific as to what I need to do or what form to fill out. I have not registered as an independent contractor or anything. Help!
Thank you for using Just Answer. Since you receive $250 as a shopper, report the amount on line 21- other income on Form 1040.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Marvin,EA's Post: Is there a threshold at which I would classify myself as an independent contractor and need to 'do' more? My husband thinks this little bit of income is more trouble than it was worth.
If you make over $400 in a year, you would have to classify yourself as a independent contractor and file a federal Form Sch. C and Sch.SE.
Marvin,EA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you