Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am 87-in poor health but still living in my own home with ...

Customer Question
I am 87-in poor health...
I am 87-in poor health but still living in my own home with some assistance from my children - my assets are in stocks, bonds,IRAs,etc, and my home is lein free - total estate value approximately 280K - I forsee being forced into a care facility in the next couple of years and this would eat up all my assets with nothing left for my children - how can I gift them each a certain amount prior to moving to a care facility without losing my eligibility for care home services?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
4/1/2008
Tax Professional: Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent replied 9 years ago
Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. I am sorry but the government have a 3 year rule about assets being exempt from paying health care facility. You would have to gift your assets 3 year before you are eligibility for care home services.

Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
marvin - thank you for your response......would this apply to any amount or is there a limit? could I give each of my 3 kids $1000 for their birthday or for Christmas as an example?
You can give each kid $12,000 a year tax free.
Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
So, I could give them each $12,000 a year without jepardising any exemption from paying a health care facility?
No, only not to pay gift tax. The exemption from health care facility is not a tax issue.
Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent