How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marvin,EA Your Own Question
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1672
Experience:  Enrolled to Represent Taxpayers Before The IRS
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Marvin,EA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently cancelled a check that I wrote to an accountant ...

Customer Question

I recently cancelled a check that I wrote to an accountant after he dropped my returns off to me and I discovered some discrepencys. I called him (left a message with his office help and emailed him to notify him that I was canceling the check based on the fact I felt he had made some serious mistakes on my returns. He deposited the check anyhow and is now threatning to bring criminal charges agaist me. I told him if called me to explain how he came up with his numbers and it was correct. I would be happy to pay my balance. He refuses to answer any questions till he get's paid. He took a whole year to analyse my paperwork, which inturn made my returns extra late.   attepted to contact him several times since droppin off my paperwork last March. Always getting one of the girls in the office telling me they would give him the message. e" it appears that you will owe no taxes, although it still needs to be filed. He led me to believe I would owe nothing. Now I owe $4000 dollars to the IRS for the years 2005&2006. I'm not sure how much of that is penalty and interest.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 9 years ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer. I am sorry about the problems you are having with your accountant, but he is right. He must return all of your paperwork you gave to him but, he does not have to explain anything about how he fill out your tax return until he get paid. The only recourse you have if the IRS request that he explain the work he did on your tax return.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Marvin,EA's Post: Can you look at my question again there are some other cirmustances I forgot to add.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
now I HAVE TO PAY ANOTHER ACCOUTANT TO See if it's done correctly. He never asked me a single question about anything
Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 9 years ago.
You have a good case for your penalies to be abated for reasonable cause due to you inability to obtain the necessary records from your accountant. I think you need another accountant to complete your return. H & R Block have a good reputation with doing tax return. They will explain all of their work and if you are not satisfied you do not have to pay.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
can he press crimimal charges against me for cancelling the check?
Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 9 years ago.
No, you canceled the check for work not perform, but he can take you to small claim court for nonpayment of service.
Marvin,EA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank you!