How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was paid from the SSI for a lump sum on 3 years and ...

This answer was rated:

I was paid from the SSI for a lump sum on 3 years and had to repay a private insurance carrier back for the months they paid me, which was not taxable. Is the monies SSi paid me taxed?

Dear jollyroger,

If these are SSI lump sum they are not taxable. hoswever, look closely. If instead it is Disabilty lump sum payment or regular ss income, then it is taxable. (85% of the lump sum is generally taxable if it is not SSI)


Ed Johnson and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you