RD
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  CPA, MBA, Over 10 yrs of experience in tax planning and business consulting..
510454

Do I have to file for the 2007 Federal income tax

I am a new US immigrant through the US Green Card Lottery Program, I entered the US for the first time on Dec 15th 2007, got the actual plastic card in the mail later on in Feb 2008, I still don''t have a job here, I have a checking and Saving bank accounts that I opened in Jan 2008. I like to add that my income for the last year 2007 back in my home country is less than $8750.

Did you get your GC on Dec 15th, 2007?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I had the interview back home in the US Embassy in June 2007, got the immigration visa on my Passport in the same month....they gave me 6 month to enter the states or the immigration visa will expire....I entered the States on Dec 15th 2007.....I assume that from such date of entry I am considered a green card holder
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.

Since you are a GC holder, your world wide income is taxable in US. If your worldwide income for 2007 is under $8,750, you are not required to file a tax return.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to RD's Post: So even though I landed in the US 15 days (December 15th 2007) prior to the end of tax year, I must file a tax return as a general rule but if my worldwide income for 2007 is under $8750, I am not required to file a tax return...I just want to make sure that this is the case.

Thanks a lot for answering the question.