How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask The Guy Behind the Tree Your Own Ques...
The Guy Behind the Tree
The Guy Behind the Tree, Experienced Investor & Financier
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1387
Experience:  Don't tax you, don't tax me, tax the guy behind the tree.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
The Guy Behind the Tree is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had money stolen from me and can prove it with

This answer was rated:

I had money stolen from me and can prove it with supporting documents. Can I write this off as theft loss on my taxes?
Casualty losses such as the theft of money can be itemized under certain circumstances.

A casualty loss is deductible if it exceeds $100 per loss AND to the extent that it exceeds 10% of your Adjusted Gross Income. Unfortunately, the 10% of AGI is a fairly high threshold to meet, and even then only the excess is deductible.

Here is an explanatory article:
The Guy Behind the Tree and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I already have that information provided. What I wanted to know is if I can enter this on my 2007 taxes and not 2006. The theft was in 2006, but I did not know for sure until 2007 that I would not get my money back.

You can amend your 2006 tax return if the theft was large enough to meet your threshold for your 2006 AGI. Since the loss occurred in 2006, a literal reading of the casualty loss provisions implies that the loss must be claimed in the year that it occurred.

BUT... reading the instructions for Form 4684, at this link, see "When to Deduct a Loss":

... THIS addresses your specific question:

"...If you are not sure whether part of your casualty or theft loss will be reimbursed, do not deduct that part until the tax year when you become reasonably certain that it will not be reimbursed...."

So if you became reasonably certain in 2007 that your theft loss was not going to be reimbursed, you CAN take the casualty loss deduction in tax year 2007.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank you for the detailed answer and yes the theft was way more than 10% of our AGI.