How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jim Revels Your Own Question
Jim Revels
Jim Revels, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 210
Experience:  Providing income tax / planning services for over 16 years on all entity and individual tax issues
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Jim Revels is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother is totally disabled and lives in my house. She ...

This answer was rated:

My mother is totally disabled and lives in my house. She has a 7 by 24 hour caregiver which I pay out of her account. Can she deduct this cost from her tax return? What form needs to be completed? The cost is $2450 every two weeks. Help please!!!

Thank you for choosing Just Answer. To the extent that she is not reimbursed by Medicare or insurance those payments would be deductible on Schedule A (Medical Deductions) Please note, total medical deductions are only deductible to the extent they exceed 7.5% of her adjusted gross income.

Kindest regards

Jim Revels and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Is this considered long-term care? She receives reimbursement from either her insurance or Medicare. I don't want to sound stupid but when I added in the expense amount of $31206.10, her former payment of $6752 was reduced to $752. Is that possible?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Confused ... she DOES NOT receive reimbursement, sorry.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
I posted additional clarification to my original question after I received the answer. Is there additional expense required for this information?
sorry now I am confused....but let me try to answer your other is not deemed long term care. one reply looks like she does get reimbused and the other says she does not. I assume that she does not. the payment changing are you referring to her overpayment/refund?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.

I am sorry I confused you ... 1st - she does not get reimbursed for any expenses. I am using TurboTax and the only place I found to list the expenses was a Heading of Long Term Care Expenses. The only other place would be "Other Medical Expenses". Would it be better to list under "Other Medical Expenses."?

The payment was her overpayment, originally she would be paying $6752 but after the Caregiver Service is input the overpayment is $752. Again my apologies for the confusion ...

ok now I got it....other medical is the correct place.....change is seems about right.
Jim Revels and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you