How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife received $25,000 inheritance from Germany in 2008.

Resolved Question:

My wife received $25,000 inheritance from Germany in 2008. Will we owe tax and how should we handle???
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 9 years ago.

Dear XXXXXph,

The U.S. does not have an inheritance tax, and the states can not and do not assess inheritance tax on inheritances froem non-resident deceased.

This income is not reportable to the the IRS as income.

Ed Johnson and 4 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you