Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

What would be the best way to except money from an out ...

Customer Question
What would be the best...
What would be the best way to except money from an out of country source? A person who lives in the U.S. is getting a loan from his brother in the amount of $200,000 to by a home, but not his first home. What is his tax liability on this money? His brother lives in France. Would it be better to claim it as a loan or as a gift?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
4/1/2008
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 9 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
What state does that person live?
Reply to LEV's Post: California

If the money are given without any consideration - that is a gift; If you will have to repay the money - that is a loan. In both situations - there will not be any income tax obligation neither on the federal level nor in California.

As a recipient of the gift - you do not need to claim it as income. Please see for reference IRS publication 525 page 30 - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p525.pdf

graphic

As your brother is not an US resident - he is not responsible for any gift tax and do not need to file a gift tax return.

As you will transfer the money to US - because the money you are receiving from abroad and amount is more than $100,000, you are require to file form 3120 - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f3520.pdf (see instructions for details - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i3520.pdf) to declare transfer from the foreign country. There is no tax associated with this form.

So far - there is no any tax obligation and you do not need to report that amount as income.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor