How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bill Your Own Question
Bill, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3153
Experience:  EA, CEBS - 35 years experience providing financial advice
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Bill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I cashed in options that were given to me by my ...

This answer was rated:

I cashed in options that were given to me by my employer. They normally take out taxes however they no longer do this. I put most of the monies in my kids vanguard college accounts. Do I have to pay taxes on that?

Yes, you will have to pay taxes on the difference between the market value of the stock and your cost for exercising on the date they were exercised if they were nonstatutory stock options (NSOs). If they were NSOs, then your employer was required to include the difference on your W-2. If they were incentive stock options then they are not taxable when they are exercised but the difference between the sales proceeds when sold and the exercise price when exercised is taxable as gain or loss.

See pages 10 - 11 -


Bill and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you