How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marvin,EA Your Own Question
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1672
Experience:  Enrolled to Represent Taxpayers Before The IRS
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Marvin,EA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been divorced for 10 years and have had a tax debt ...

Resolved Question:

I have been divorced for 10 years and have had a tax debt to do with my ex business on my credit report all the time. We have been to court and I was found not to have to pay it. How do I get that off my report?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 9 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. First call the IRS(NNN) NNN-NNNNand check if you have a balance due on back taxes for the last 10 year. Fill out Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return. You can get the form at . On line 6b check Account Transcript. On line 7 requested 10 year, 1997 to 2007. You will need three Form 4506-T. Fax or mail the forms to the address given. When you receive the Account Transcript from the IRS, sent the form with a letter disputing the tax debt to the three credit report services.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Marvin,EA's Post: I know there is a balance, they have taken my returns to apply to it. My ex has to pay me back. so will your answer still apply?
Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 9 years ago.
You might have a tax lien on your credit report. If you have a tax lien on your record it stay for 10 year from the year the tax was assessed to your account. When was the first year taxes was assessed to you? Does your ex-husband also owe back taxes?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
It was 1998 and yes he still owes it/ I paid on it because the IRS would confiscate my returns. We went to court last year and the judge rules he had to pay me back and it was his responsibility. Iremember his lawyer saying something about 10 years. Will 10 years remove it from my credit report?
Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 9 years ago.
Yes, if the tax was assesses in 1998 the tax will be remove in 2008.
Marvin,EA and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions