Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

In Pennsylvania, Quarterly sales tax was collcted by my ...

Customer Question
In Pennsylvania, Quarterly sales tax...
In Pennsylvania, Quarterly sales tax was collcted by my Retail store, I operated a Corporation but sent sales tax in late to PA. Is the officer of a bankrupt Corporation (chapt. 7) still responsible to repay Penalty and interest, for late fees due in PA, no sales tax was owed just penalty and interest for sending in sales tax late.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
4/1/2008
Tax Professional: Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer replied 9 years ago
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer

Dear Irkay,

yes, the officers of a corporation can and are held liable in Pennsylvania for taxes, interest and penalties of sales tax and other public trust fund taxes. this is done under one of three concepts.

Alter ego organiation.

Direct responsiblity of the officers to make sure the taxes are paid on time.

personal gaurantee of the officers.

Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Ed, But it's a bankrupt corporation out of business, and there are no taxes, just penalty and interest for being late.I don't reca;; any personal guarantee. Plese respond.Customer
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer