How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29575
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, My husband is a full time tennis pro in the summer ...

This answer was rated:

Hi, My husband is a full time tennis pro in the summer (teacher during school year). The tennis club pays him as an employee. He also teaches tennis and runs a tennis camp on his own. We are unsure whether to file his non-employee work on a Schedule C (many expenses to claim) using a dba, or whether he should somehow bring all of this work under one umbrella, perhaps an LLC? It would be easier to combine for lots of reasons, but what would the tax ramifications be? Thanks so much.

The income your husband receives as an employee (reportable on W2 form) should not be mixed with self-employment income.

It doesn't matter from tax purposes how the business would be organized - solo proprietorship, DBA, LLC or partnership - for tax purposes all these are disregarded entity and the income and expenses should be reported on his personal tax return.

You will use schedule C for your self-employment income and expenses - and calculate your net income. You net income from self-employment is a subject for 15.3% self-employment taxes and should be calculated on schedule SE -

You will use 1040 form - for your tax return - following would be important entries:

  • line 7 - wages from W2 box 1 - as he also has a regular job.
  • line 12 - net business income from the Schedule C
  • line 27 - one-half of self-employment tax from the Schedule SE
  • line 58 - self-employment tax from the Schedule SE
  • line 64 - federal income tax withheld from Forms W-2 box 2 and 1099misc box 4 (if any)

The key point is to determine qualified business expenses and to keep a good record.

Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions