How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask The Guy Behind the Tree Your Own Ques...
The Guy Behind the Tree
The Guy Behind the Tree, Experienced Investor & Financier
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1387
Experience:  Don't tax you, don't tax me, tax the guy behind the tree.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
The Guy Behind the Tree is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I get a copy of my 2005 W-2 form if I did not ...

This answer was rated:

How do I get a copy of my 2005 W-2 form if I did not file for 2005 tax return?

   I need to file for taxes in my state or I will get fined. But I never filed for 2005 federal (was getting refund, don''t ask me why I didn''t file) but lost my W-2s. My employer doesn''t have 2005 w-2''s on file. So is there any other way of getting copies other then from IRS or Employer?
Many local unemployment offices can access your W-2's from prior years. You will want to appear there in person to make the request. If they have access to the data, it can be provided while you wait.

You would think that the IRS, having already received THEIR copies of your 1099’s and W-2’s, would be able to provide them to you if you wanted to file your tax return. You can ask the IRS to send you your "payer transcript" for the years you need. This is a computer printout of all your tax-related documents that have been filed with the IRS by entities that have paid you money. This includes 1099’s, W-2’s and other documents. The Taxpayer Advocate can expedite your request.,,id=97402,00.html

If these efforts fail, you can, as a last resort, get a copy of your W-2s from prior years from the Social Security Administration. There may be a delay in their response getting back to you (which is like saying the sun MAY come up in the morning).

Here is the SSA link in case you want to pursue that avenue:

Good luck!
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Ok, I got a hold of the IRS Tax advocate and they sent me the transcript, but it doesn't help with my problem. I need the State income info. It only shows the federal info.
I believe in my original question that I should have also stated that I have income from two different states, from the same employer (I transfer each year from ND to AZ). And in order to file correctly I need to show what income is from ND and what is from AZ. ND wants to charge me $341 when in fact if I had filled they would have owed me $112.
Sorry, I have no experience with getting state-specific W-2 details from ND and AZ.

You could ESTIMATE the portion of your actual ND and AZ income. When you file your tax returns, it would be reasonable to expect the kind folks in ND to tell you free of charge how much the actual ND earnings are... since it is a guarantee your estimate won't match the actual to the dollar.

I will Opt Out - perhaps another Expert has worked with these states.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Ok Like i said I should have included the second bit of info. But I believe I have to info to file my federal return. Is there away to still give you half credit?
Thanks for thinking of the "half credit".

You can request "[email protected]" to adjust the payment amount for this question to a smaller amount. Thereafter you can Accept individual answers as you wish to.
The Guy Behind the Tree and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you