Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My husband is an over the road truck driver. Instead of ...

Customer Question
My husband is an over...
My husband is an over the road truck driver. Instead of saving receipts, he was told that there is a daily standard deduction for meals and entertainment. Can you help me on this?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
3/4/2008
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 9 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

You are correct. Please refer to the IRS publication 463 - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p463.pdf - page 6

Special rate for transportation workers. You can use a special standard meal allowance if you work in the transportation industry. You are in the transportation industry if your work:

• Directly involves moving people or goods by airplane, barge, bus, ship, train, or truck, and
  • Regularly requires you to travel away from home and, during any single trip, usually involves travel to areas eligible for different standard meal allowance rates.

If this applies to you, you can claim a standard meal allowance of $52 a day ($58 for travel outside the continental United States) from January 1, 2007, through December 31, 2007.

Using the special rate for transportation workers eliminates the need for you to determine the standard meal allowance for every area where you stop for sleep or rest. If you choose to use the special rate for any trip, you must use the special rate (and not use the regular standard meal allowance rates) for all trips you take that year.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor