Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Am I required to pay taxes on social security benefits ...

Customer Question
Am I required to pay...
Am I required to pay taxes on social security benefits received due to the death of my husbancd but they are for my child who is a minor? I make over 25k per year and I received 1099 form indicating I "may" be taxed on some or all of my son''s benefits.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
3/3/2008
Tax Professional: Jim Revels, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 9 years ago
Jim Revels
Jim Revels, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

I assume the form from SSA has your social security number on it. Making this assumption, If you make over $25,000 which includes 50% of the social security received and file as head of household you will be taxed on 50% of your son's benefits. If you make over $34,000 which includes 50% of the social security received and file as head of household you will be taxed on 85% of your son's benefits.

Best regards,

Jim Revels
Jim Revels
Jim Revels