How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bill Your Own Question
Bill, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3153
Experience:  EA, CEBS - 35 years experience providing financial advice
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Bill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What is the gift tax on $100,000.00 and who pays it

Resolved Question:

No Comment Added
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Bill replied 9 years ago.

The person making the gift must file a gift tax return (Form 709) when the amount of the gift to any one recipient exceeds $12,000. The recipient of the gift does not have to file or pay any taxes on the gift. The gift taxes on the exess gift of $88,000 ($100,000 - $12,000) would be $20,280. However, the gift taxes would not actually have to be paid in this situation because each individual has a credit that is available to offset gift taxes on up to $1,000,000 of excess gifts over his/her lifetime. The following links provide more detail.,,id=107815,00.html


Bill and 4 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you