Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I rolled over a 401k account to TDWaterhouse in 2003. Since ...

I rolled over a 401k...
I rolled over a 401k account to TDWaterhouse in 2003. Since then   I have lost all the money that was in that account through bad investments, now the IRS is asking me to take money out since I    am over age 70. There isn''t any money left in the account. Do I have to pay taxes on all the money that I have lost?
3/3/2008
Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent

DK,

You will only pay taxes on distributions you take. If there are no funds in the account, you will no be able to take such distributions. As a side note, you will also not be able to deduct these losses.

Regards,

Mark D

Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent
Mark D
Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent