How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wendy Reed Your Own Question
Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3346
Experience:  15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wendy Reed is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was just married at the end of 2007, so Im ...

Resolved Question:

I was just married at the end of 2007, so I''m wondering what I should do as far as exemptions are concerned for 2008. Right now I''m still under single, with 2 exemptions, but should I change to married? how much more/less will they take out? our combined income is around 80K/year.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Wendy Reed replied 9 years ago.

Hello there, If you are both working, the worst thing that you can do is both change your status to married on your W4's. Married status causes less tax to be taken out, and unless you have a lot of deductions you will wind up owing.

In order to assist you better, if you can tell me what both of your incomes are for the year and what type of deductions you have, (and how much of a refund you desire) then I can help you plan your W4 exemptions.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX 57K and he makes around 23K. We ended up filing married for 2007 because the refund was higher, but that may have been because for 2007 we we both had single status. Our deductions were just under the automatic deductions - aroudn 10K. Most were charitable contributions and I have school loans that I'm re-paying. We don't own a home or have any dependants.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
.. and of course we'd like the largest refund possible...
Expert:  Wendy Reed replied 9 years ago.


One point...Just because you get a larger refund does not mean that you are getting more money, it just means that you had more money taken out during the year. The tax return is a reconciliation of your tax on your income, and how much was taken out--which will yield either a balance due or refund.

Since you live in a community prop. state, you are most likely going to see the most benefit from filing jointly instead of separately.

Your estimated tax liability for 2008 is approx. $8500.

You would need this much to be withheld during the year to "break even" (no refund, no balance due).

If you and your husband both have single, 2 on your W4's, then you will have 9900 taken out, and this will yield and approx. refund of $1400.

ON your pay, you will see 160 taken out for federal withholding if you are paid weekly, and 320 if you are paid biweekly. He will see 31 taken out weekly and 62 taken out biweekly.

To get a larger refund, you can change to single 1 or single 0.

Please let me know if you need more information.

Wendy Reed and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you