How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wendy Reed Your Own Question
Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3346
Experience:  15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wendy Reed is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My youngest son completed his enlistment in the Marine

Resolved Question:

My youngest son completed his enlistment in the Marine Corps in July 2007. He is 24 years old, is now living at home and enrolled in an accredited college in the Fall of 2007. My wife and I paid his first year tuition of more than $16K. Can we deduct a portion of this expense when filing our 2007 tax return?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Wendy Reed replied 9 years ago.

Hello there, If your son turned 24 in 2007, then he is too old to meet the dependency requirements of "qualifying child". He may however be a "qualifying relative" for dependency purposes, but he would have had to have had less than $3400 in gross income for the year.

If he does not meet the requirements for a dependent, they you may not take any tax related benefits for his education. He may claim himself and take either an education deduction or credit, whichever benefits him the most.

If you need more information or clarification, please let me know.


Wendy Reed and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you