Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am the beneficiary of my mothers life insurance ...

Customer Question
I am the beneficiary of...
I am the beneficiary of my mother''s life insurance policy.
My mother was an employee of the state and the policy is issued by Teacher Retirement System. They sent me a form to complete and are treating this as if I am cashing out an IRA. Questions on their form are relavent to Rolling over the funds to an IRA. My understanding is if I am a beneficiary of life insurance - it will not be taxable. Will this be applicable to Federal Income Tax Withhold as well as the 10% penalty (The same as cashing out an IRA or 401K early)?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
3/3/2008
Tax Professional: Lou, Tax Preparer replied 9 years ago
Lou
Lou, Tax Preparer

Thank you for contacting 'Just Answer', we appreciate the opportunity to be of service to you.

If, in fact, the proceeds are from a Life Insurance policy those proceeds are not subject to Federal Income Tax or the 10% penalty. The only time Life Insurance proceeds might be taxable to the beneficiary would be if the ownership of the policy was transferred for value. It seems you also might have received forms relating to her Retirement money which is an altogether different matter. I would need more information about that money to be of further assistance

.

Reply to Lou's Post: After doing some further research, it appears it is her retirement funds and is applicable to Federal Income tax.(Through the 'Teacher Retirement System' There is a paragraph on the paperwork I received which states:
Beneficiaries: If you are a beneficiary, your payment is generally not subject to the additional 10% tax, even if you are younger than age 59 1/2. Would you agree?
Yes, I would agree. Income tax would be assessed but not the 10% penalty
Lou
Lou, Tax Preparer
Lou
Lou
Lou, Tax Preparer