How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask WebTaxMan Your Own Question
WebTaxMan, Tax Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 922
Experience:  20+ Years experience-CPAs & My Own Business/IRS Authorized e-file Provider/CA Tax Education Council
Type Your Tax Question Here...
WebTaxMan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently started a small internet business in Nevada.

This answer was rated:

I recently started a small internet business in Nevada. I''m selling 7-day subscriptions to online learning modules. Once a customer purchases a module they have a week in which to pass the quiz in the module. Once a module quiz is passed then the customer will receive a certificate via email for stating they''ve earned XX number of continuing education units. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what taxes this type of business is subject to?
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Are you a sole proprietor?
-Will these modules you sell actually fulfill an industries continuing education requirements?
-Do you know if sales tax is an issue or not?
-Are these modules only going to be sold in the USA?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to WebTaxMan's Post: Thanks for the quick response.

-My business is an LLC.
-The modules will fulfill an industry's continuing education requirements.
-I don't know if sales tax is an issue, which is something I was hoping you could tell me (along with any other applicable tax).
-The vast majority of the modules will be sold in the USA but I imagine that foreign sales will account for a small percentage of my sales.

Since you mentioned you are set up as an LLC, that requires further clarification, so we can get you a much more precise answer.

Did you file for the LLC in Nevada, or another State?

Are you a single member LLC?

If not a single member LLC, have you elected to be taxed as C-Corp?

As you can see, there is a lot going on with what you hoped was going to be easy question :-)

We just need these details, again, to make sure you get the correct information.

As far as the sales tax goes, can you tell us what industry will use you modules?


Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to WebTaxMan's Post: Thanks for the continued support.

I filed for the LLC in Nevada.

It is a single member LLC.

The industry that will use the modules is psychology, specifically behavior analysis, in the human service industry (e.g. providing services to children with autism). The certification is from the Behavior Analyst Certification Board ( and the certification categories include: Board Certified Behavior Analysts and Board Certified Associate Behavior Analysts
Hi againCustomer

Thanks for providing that extra information.

Since you are just starting out, I want to give you some excellent resources that available to you for free. Click here for Nevada’s Small Business Association. There is really great information on that site.

Another excellent source is Nevada’s S.C.O.R.E. Click here and you will see that many successful returned businessman and woman offer new start-ups counseling for free.

Your single member LLC is taxed like a sole-proprietorship, but has the legal advantages you know about when you formed the LLC.

You will file your Federal taxes using Schedule C.

Using Schedule C, you see what types of expenses are available to you.

The taxes you are responsible for consist of the ordinary income tax rates, but in addition, you will be required to pay self employment taxes that are roughly 15% per year on top of your ordinary income tax. Schedule SE explains the self employment tax.

It gets complicated on the State level. But generally speaking, if you plan to keep only one office in NV, and since Nevada does not have a personal income tax, you will not owe income tax to the State of NV. That can change though, and if you'd like to read through what does change the tax issue click here for an excellent explanation.

The self employment tax is the tax that will concern you the most. Trust me, I have to pay it, nobody wants to, but the IRS is really cracking down on small businesses right now, and it's best to be in compliance from the get go.

Along with answering your question, I gave you quite a large amount of information to read through, but it is very good information, and can really make or break your new venture. Keep very good records too, that is very important as well.

I looked up Nevada sales tax laws, and from what I found, since you are selling subscriptions, those subscriptions should not be subject to sales tax, nor you collecting sales tax.


Should you require further clarification, please never hesitate to ask. It would be my pleasure to clarify issues related to your question.

If you feel I have given a complete answer, and you are satisfied with my answer, please press the GREEN ACCEPT button. Feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!




Just Answer! acts as a venue for entertainment purposes only. Responses and comments on Just Answer! are for general information and are not intended to substitute for informed professional advice (such as medical, legal, investment, accounting, or tax), and do not establish a professional-client relationship. As such, Just Answer! retains 100% of the price/deposit you set for your question, and will only distribute 50% to experts when a customer accepts an answer. Just Answer! is not intended or designed to address EMERGENCY QUESTIONS which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service. Any information given by me is not offered as, nor is it intended to be, considered legal advice in any way, shape, or form, and shall be treated as procedural information only. Per Cal. Bus. & Prof. Code § 6450 et. al., Paralegals or Legal Assistants cannot give legal advice. The information herein is not exhaustive. You should always seek legal counsel from a licensed attorney in your state.

WebTaxMan and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you