How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mark D Your Own Question
Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1304
Experience:  MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Mark D is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We formed a youth boys basketball team. My

This answer was rated:

We formed a youth boys'' basketball team. My husband pays for everything (tournament fees, gym time, uniforms, etc). Kids don't have to purchase anything except their shoes. I would like to raise funds to offset our expenses. Do I have to file for tax exempt (501(c)(3)) status to raise money for the team?

You do not have to file for 501(c)3 status to raise money, however donors may not be able to deduct their contributions to the organization without this status. Also, the are other chapters under which the organization may be classified as an exempt organization, but still owe taxes. Your best option to raise more money and avoid taxes for this great cause would be to apply for 501(c)3 status.


Mark D

Mark D and 4 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you