Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I moved from georgia to texas in march 2007, in the summer ...

I moved from georgia to...
I moved from georgia to texas in march 2007, in the summer i changed my last name. My husband and I filled jointly in texas under my new last name. I am trying to file my georgia state tax and i have 2 questions. 1. if my w-2 is in my maiden name which name do I put on the GA state tax return? 2. do I file single or joint? my husband never lived in GA in 2007 and our federal return is filled jointly.
3/2/2008
jgordosea
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent

Greetings,

For income tax filing it is best to always use the name that is currently on record with the Social Security Administration (regardless of what the W-2 or other document may have)

You may file in Georgia as a part year resident and either married filing joint or married filing separately. From page 9 of the Form IT-511 Individual Income Tax Instruction Booklet: A married part-year resident or nonresident with income earned in Georgia whose spouse is a nonresident with no Georgia source income may file either a separate return claiming himself/herself only, or a joint return claiming total allowable deductions. If one spouse is a resident and one is a part-year resident or nonresident, enter 3 in the residency status box and complete Form 500, Schedule 3 to calculate Georgia taxable income.

See Form 500 Individual Income Tax Return (Fill in on-line, print and mail)

I hope this helps.

Best wishes and congratulations on your marriage!

jgordosea
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent
jgordosea
jgordosea
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent