Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

can you write off a preconstruction deposit for ...

can you write off a...
can you write off a preconstruction deposit for condo unit
3/2/2008
RD
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Is the condo being constructed? Is this for your personal use?
yes its being constructed. investment property

in that case, the preconstruction deposit will be capitalized and added to the cost basis of the property. It will not be deductible currently.

Let me know if you have any question.

Please note: This advice is provided with the understanding that all the relevant facts have been provided by you. Any change in facts might affect the advice given and hence may not be relied on in such cases. Nothing contained in this reply was intended or written to be used, can be used by any taxpayer, or may be relied upon or used by any taxpayer for the purposes of avoiding penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer under the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended.

Reply to RD's Post: if i planned to move in after construction would it be deductible

If you plan to move in, in that case the amount that you paid will be part of the cost basis of the property. It will not be deductible.

Let me know if you have any question.

RD
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
RD
RD
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)