How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If you have been selected for an audit of a 2006 return , ...

Resolved Question:

If you have been selected for an audit of a 2006 return , and in going through it you have found some mistakes, is it too late to amend the return? Would it make any difference to do it at this point?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 9 years ago.

Dear grenie,

Let the auditor know you are in the process of amending your return. They may allow you to do that. But, it is not going to necessarily stop the audit.

It is not too late to file an amended return for 2006, but it will not necessaily stop the audit.

The auditor will give you full tax treatment, that is you could end up payin penalties and interest, as you would anyway on an amended return, or you could end up getting a refund. (I do not know which is the case for you because I do not know your tax situation).


Customer: replied 9 years ago.
is there anything that will stop an audit?
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 9 years ago.

Dear Greenie,

Unfortunately there is nothing that will stop an audit once you have been identified unless you invoke the assisstance of a tax attorney he files legal documents with the tax court to get a temporary injunction.

Unless the IRS detemines for some reason after discussing with you and reviewing your amended return that one is no longer necessary. But, I can not tell you that it will be avoided. This is because something like that is completely discretionary.

So when you ask that question, I have to respond by what is availble in the code.



Ed Johnson and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you