How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jon Andrews Your Own Question
Jon Andrews
Jon Andrews, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3118
Experience:  I deal with all levels of tax planning and controversy - from the ordinary to the complex.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Jon Andrews is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 21 year old daughter that has lived on her own for ...

This answer was rated:

I have a 21 year old daughter that has lived on her own for the past three years. My husband has claimed her on his income tax previously and just given her money equally, so as to help him on his taxes. He has gotten extensions for last year,unbeknownst to her. She is very responsible and would worry much if she knew. My question is this: Can he claim what he has paid for her college tuition, books, etc. on his form, leaving her to file her own tax form showing her bills, rent, etc.    She is a full time student in her fourth year and she has a full time job at a local Sonic. Please advise me. In the middle.   Thanks in advance for any help you might have. FYI, he is self-employed.

It is certainly possible that she could be claimed as a dependent and she could file her own return not claiming herself as a dependent - that would all depend on the details of the circumstances.

Whether he has gotten an extension or not does not affect her in any way whatsoever. She only needs to know whether she is being claimed as a dependent on his return or not.


Jon Andrews and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions