How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Brad Your Own Question
Brad, Retired IRS Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 177
Experience:  Retired; 32 years service and expertise in Individual, Partnership, Trust, Corporate Tax Law;Mensa
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Brad is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What types of items can a flight attendant write off each

Resolved Question:

What types of items can a flight attendant write off each year?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Brad replied 9 years ago.


  • Generally, you do not include a reimbursement as part of your income so you cannot claim the related expense as a deduction.
  • You can claim a deduction for the cost of buying, repairing and cleaning certain work-related uniforms, occupation-specific clothing or protective clothing.
  • You may be able to claim a deduction for shoes, socks and stockings if they are an essential part of a distinctive compulsory uniform, the characteristics of which - colour, style, type - are specified in your employer's uniform policy. Wearing of the uniform must be consistently enforced.

  • You can claim a deduction for the cost of laundering and dry-cleaning work clothes that are eligible such as compulsory uniforms or single items of compulsory clothing.

  • You can claim a deduction for the cost of self-education if there is a direct connection between your self-education and your work activities at the time the expense was incurred. Self-education expenses can include textbooks, stationery, student union fees, course fees, certain travel expenses.

  • Self-education expenses are not deductible if your study is designed to get you a job, a new job, or income from a new income-earning activity.

  • Equipment which you may be able to depreciate includes: answering machines, telephones, facsimile machines, mobile phones, pagers and other telecommunications equipment calculators and electronic organisers luggage and luggage trolleys, if you are a flight attendant, pilot or flight engineer and use them for work tools and equipment. CAVEAT: you have the burden of proving that these expenses are wholly or partially for use as the ordinary and necessary expenses of you job rather than private or personal equipment. In the event of partial use, there would be an allocation.

  • You can claim a deduction for the cost of first aid training courses if you, as a designated first aid person, are required to undertake first aid training to assist in emergency work situations.

  • You cannot claim a deduction for hairspray, hairdressing, make-up and other personal use products as they are personal expenses. Also, skin moisturizers and hair conditioners are personal expenses and are not deductible unless they are used to combat the dehydration effects of pressurization and lack of humidity in an aircraft cabin.

  • You can claim a deduction for the cost of renewing your work-related business licenses but not your drivers license. You cannot claim a deduction for the cost of getting your initial license.

  • Flight attendants, pilots and flight engineers can claim a deduction for the decline in value of their luggage and luggage trolleys used for work(as mentioned above on depreciation of certain equipment.)
  • You cannot claim a deduction for the cost of meals eaten during a normal working day as it is a personal expense.

  • You can claim a deduction for medical examination costs associated with the renewal of your work-related business licenses.

  • You can claim a deduction for the cost of attending seminars, conferences and training courses that are connected to your work activities.

  • You can claim a deduction for the cost of journals, periodicals and magazines that have a content onnected to your employment as an airline employee.

  • You can claim a deduction for the cost of work-related telephone calls.

  • You can claim a deduction for union and professional association fees.

I hope that I covered just about all the expenses you might incur as an airline attendant, but it is possible that I missed a few. A good key is to think about the things that you would not buy or the expenses you would not incur if you were not an airline attendant.

I hope that this helps you,Customer

Please remember to click the Green ACCEPT button and to leave a little FEEDBACK.


Brad and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you