How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wendy Reed Your Own Question
Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3346
Experience:  15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wendy Reed is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My inlaws are retired, my father in law receives retirement ...

Resolved Question:

My inlaws are retired, my father in law receives retirement from two previous employers, my mother in law just draws social security at age 63. They are buying a house from the owner and paying greater than 500$ per month in interest. Have been for the past 10 years yet when they file their taxes H&R Block says they cannot claim this interest. Is this correct??? I thought you can claim all your interest when buying a house.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Wendy Reed replied 9 years ago.

Hello there,

I think that the message that you are getting from your in-laws that they got from HR Block has gotten somewhat convoluted.

Yes, they are allowed to deduct their mortgage interest. However, If your father-in-law is 65 or over, their standard deduction as a married couple is 11750 dollars. If their itemized deductions are less than this amount, then they do not get a benefit from deduction their mortgage interest. Itemized deductions include medical expenses in excess of 7.5% of gross income, mortgage interest, property tax, charitable contributions, real estate tax and state and local income or sales tax. If these itemized deductions are lower than the standard (which they usually are for seniors, even those who pay some mortg. interest), then the best tax choice is to use the standard deduction.


Does this make sense to you?

Wendy Reed and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you