How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask jgordosea Your Own Question
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3161
Experience:  I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
jgordosea is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How much money for material aid I can recive from my

Resolved Question:

How much money for material aid I can recive from my family in one year? Does that consider as income? Should I pay taxes?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  jgordosea replied 9 years ago.


Income does not include gifts or assistance from family members for which you do not perform work.

You can get an unlimited amount of gifts from your family and not have to report this for income taxes.

If one person gifts you in 2007 more than $12,000, they must report the total gifts to the Internal Revenue Service and they may have to pay tax on the gifts (but usually only when they have given more than $1 million in their lifetime. See,,id=107815,00.html for more informaiotn on the obligation of the givers.

I hope this helps.

jgordosea and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you