How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mark D Your Own Question
Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1304
Experience:  MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Mark D is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If my spouse withdrew from his pension account and did ...

Resolved Question:

If my spouse withdrew from his pension account and did not properly file forms and was notified about this but I was unaware of both notification and withdrawal am I subject to the wage levy that is now being held against me. He also intecepted the wage levy notice from my employer and I was blindsided by a phone call from the business office when I did not respond to the letter which was not sent certified mail. I am now subject to $16,000 being taken from my earnings starting in my next pay period. He has not worked for the last 5 years and I cannot afford to live without a fulll paycheck. What am I suppose to do.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark D replied 9 years ago.

You should file for innocent spouse relief ASAP. You will need to fill out and submit IRS Form 8857. If you did not know, or have reason to know, of the unreported income, you would be a good candidate for this relief, which , if approved, would put the tax burden solely on your spouse.


Mark D

Mark D and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you