Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I have a woman and her son living in my home(not ...

I have a woman and...
I have a woman and her son living in my home(not related).   If she has no source of income, and has been dependent on my income for the entire year, am I able to claim either or both of them on my taxes?
3/1/2008
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer

DearCustomer

You may claim them as dependents if the following conditions are met:

1. They lived with you as members of your household for the entire year.
  2. That they did not provide for more than half of their support (IRS Notice 2008-5 says all support, but IRS Pub says more than half)
  3. As long as they are not claimed as a dependent on anyone elses return.

In your circumstances, the mother can not be required to file a return, nor can she claim her child or herself on any return.

So the botXXXXX XXXXXne is....yes.

Refference IRS Publication 501 AND

IRS notice 2008-5. http://www.irs.gov/irb/2008-02_IRB/ar14.html

Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer