How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a woman and her son living in my home(not ...

This answer was rated:

I have a woman and her son living in my home(not related).   If she has no source of income, and has been dependent on my income for the entire year, am I able to claim either or both of them on my taxes?


You may claim them as dependents if the following conditions are met:

  1. They lived with you as members of your household for the entire year.
  2. That they did not provide for more than half of their support (IRS Notice 2008-5 says all support, but IRS Pub says more than half)
  3. As long as they are not claimed as a dependent on anyone elses return.

In your circumstances, the mother can not be required to file a return, nor can she claim her child or herself on any return.

So the botXXXXX XXXXXne is....yes.

Refference IRS Publication 501 AND

IRS notice 2008-5.

Ed Johnson and 5 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you