Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am hiring a gal to watch my son 2-3 days a week ...

Customer Question
I am hiring a gal...
I am hiring a gal to watch my son 2-3 days a week on a indefinite basis. What do I need to do or what does she need to do from a legal perspective - what form(s) does she fill out - how are taxes done? New at this/ New Mommy!
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
3/1/2008
Tax Professional: jgordosea, Enrolled Agent replied 9 years ago
jgordosea
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent

Greetings,

Detailed information about household employees is available at Topic 756 - Employment Taxes for Household Employees

Most household employers do not need to make any payments or file the employment taxes until after the end of the tax year (next January) using Form 1040, Schedule H , Household Employment Taxes, with their individual income tax return.

You are not required to withhold Federal income tax from wages you pay to a household employee. However, if your employee asks you to withhold Federal income tax and you agree, you will need Form W-4 , Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate, and Publication 15, (Circular E), Employer's Tax Guide, which has tax withholding tables.

If you withhold or pay social security and Medicare taxes, or withhold Federal income tax, you will need to file Form W-2 (PDF), Wage and Tax Statement, after the end of the year. To complete Form W-2 you will need both an employer identification number and your employees' social security number. If you do not already have an employer identification number (EIN), one can be requested by submitting Form SS-4 (PDF), Application for Employer Identification Number

I hope this helps.

jgordosea
jgordosea
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent