How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask jgordosea Your Own Question
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3161
Experience:  I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
jgordosea is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am hiring a gal to watch my son 2-3 days a week ...

Customer Question

I am hiring a gal to watch my son 2-3 days a week on a indefinite basis. What do I need to do or what does she need to do from a legal perspective - what form(s) does she fill out - how are taxes done? New at this/ New Mommy!
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  jgordosea replied 9 years ago.


Detailed information about household employees is available at Topic 756 - Employment Taxes for Household Employees

Most household employers do not need to make any payments or file the employment taxes until after the end of the tax year (next January) using Form 1040, Schedule H , Household Employment Taxes, with their individual income tax return.

You are not required to withhold Federal income tax from wages you pay to a household employee. However, if your employee asks you to withhold Federal income tax and you agree, you will need Form W-4 , Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate, and Publication 15, (Circular E), Employer's Tax Guide, which has tax withholding tables.

If you withhold or pay social security and Medicare taxes, or withhold Federal income tax, you will need to file Form W-2 (PDF), Wage and Tax Statement, after the end of the year. To complete Form W-2 you will need both an employer identification number and your employees' social security number. If you do not already have an employer identification number (EIN), one can be requested by submitting Form SS-4 (PDF), Application for Employer Identification Number

I hope this helps.