Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Can I write off the Gas Guzzler tax?

Customer Question
Can I write off the...

Can I write off the Gas Guzzler tax I paid when I purchased my new vehicle?

Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Tax
2/18/2008
Tax Professional: Brad, Retired IRS Agent replied 9 years ago
Brad
Brad, Retired IRS Agent

For a personal vehicle rather than one used strictly for business, the Federal Excise Tax that has been labeled the "Gas Guzzler Tax" is not deductible on your Schedule A and, in general, Federal Excise Taxes are not deductible on Form 1040.

You can review deductible and non-deductible items on page 145 of IRS Publication 17 at the website:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p17.pdf

If the vehicle was used in the normal course of your trade or business where it is also qualified for investment tax credit and depreciation expense, etc, the situation would, of course, be different as all expenses within the business offset gross income.

Brad
Brad
Brad, Retired IRS Agent