How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask jgordosea Your Own Question
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3161
Experience:  I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
jgordosea is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What do I do if my local wages are missing on my W-2?

Customer Question

If my W-2 is missing local wages, and local income tax, is this a problem? All the other information, including state taxes paid is available. I work in CA, for a VA based company and I am paid from VA. 
I have federal wages, state wages etc., all information is included, except for local tax (county tax I assume). Do I need a new W-2? I don’t want to mess up my refund.

Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  jgordosea replied 9 years ago.

Most W-2s do not include any local tax information because most localities do not have any local income tax. Here in Florida where we so not have a state income tax many W-2s do not even have any state tax information.

The only situation that not having the information would be if you needed to file a local or state tax return and it relied on some missing information.

Also, one level of government will not look to the other information. That is, the federal will not be concerned what is or is not in the state and local boxes.

Your W-2 is fine without local tax information (unless you were trying to file a local tax return).

I hope this helps.

jgordosea and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.

Thank you. I am filing CA state tax, and federal 1040. I don’t think either requires me to have local tax information to fill them out. I don’t even know if CA, ( Alameda County) has a local tax form. So I will go ahead and file with my current W-2.

Expert:  jgordosea replied 9 years ago.
You are quite welcome. Thank you for the opportunity to be of service.