How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guru_Guy Your Own Question
Guru_Guy, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2418
Experience:  I am a lawyer who understands tax law and finance.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Guru_Guy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

can i claim my 30 year old daughter on my taxes as a ...

Customer Question

can i claim my 30 year old daughter on my taxes as a dependent and get money back for her? she lives with me, and has not worked in 2 years.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Guru_Guy replied 9 years ago.

Because of her age, you cannot claim her as a dependent child unless she is totally and permanently disabled.

However, even if not disabled, you may be able to claim her as a qualifying relative dependent. If you provide more than 1/2 of her support and she made less than $3400 for the year, you may have a claim.

Take a look at page 16 of these instructions for the complete details:

I hope this helps!


IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE: Absent an engagement for written tax advice prepared in compliance with the regulations promulgated by the U.S. Department of Treasury, no person prepared the written information contained in or accompanying this communication for use or reliance, and no taxpayer can, therefore, use or rely upon the written information contained in or accompanying this communication, (i) to avoid any penalties that the IRS may impose, or (ii) for the purpose of promoting, marketing, or recommending to another party any tax-related matters.