How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How does a 501(c)6 get a copy of IRS response to 1024?

Resolved Question:

Our 501(c) 6 organization was founded in 2000, in Washington DC, via pro bono assistance. That pro bono help is long gone. The current board does not have a record of whether Form 1024 was filed, or the IRS determination letter. How do we get a copy of the IRS determination letter, and does the non-profit need to obtain this IRS exemption letter each year?

Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 9 years ago.

You can do this two different ways.

If all you want to know is if you were approved you can look to find your organization in the data base here: If your organization is not listed, then you did not have an application filed or it was denied.,,id=96136,00.html

If you need an actual copy of the application and determination, which you likely do, you can request one by following the instructions on this list. The answer to your request would tell you if you had a form completed or not.,,id=135033,00.html

You may want to start out by calling the IRS and stalking to the office that processes the form. They can tell you if your organization filed, that would save a step in the process.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

Thank you reply.

Is it required 501(c) 6, operating as a business league, and not seeking tax exemption, to file the 1024 anyway?

Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 9 years ago.

It is not required to submit the form if the organization is not seeking benefits related to being a 501(c) 6 organization.

Ed Johnson and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you