How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29657
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds


Resolved Question:

I think I screwed up big time.
This is the first year I received SS survivor benefits.
I will have a 1099 for consulting for 16,000, which was fine because I also have deductions.

Here is the problem:

I played online wordgames for a good part to 2007, not to win money but to take my mind of things. And I just got a form that said they would report 13,300 dollars as other income on a 1099, which of course brings me way over the social security limit. I did not take those winnings out but simply continued playing more tournaments most of which I lost. Can I deduct the Cash Entry fees associated with tournaments lost from the 13,300? Next time I will simply see a shrink:) Also, can I take off any other losses?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 9 years ago.


You must report the amount of you winnings.

you may deduct your gambling losses - up to the amount you won - $13,300. You would need to take this deduction on your schedule A and should itemize to take such deduction. And you would need a proof of all your losses.

To get better benefits from itemized - you may add any mortgage interest, real estate and property tax, charitable contributions, etc.

I do not think that this income will affect your SS benefits, as this is not earned income.

Please let me know if any clarification needed.

Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you