How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask jgordosea Your Own Question
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3161
Experience:  I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
jgordosea is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received 2 W-2 forms from my employer. I had moved ...

Customer Question

I received 2 W-2 forms from my employer. I had moved from Virginia to Maryland, so there was one for each state. My total income is listed on my Maryland W-2 under box 1- Wages, tips and other comp. No amount (it is blank)is listed in box 1 for VA. I went to complete my otherwise simple taxes yesterday on Turbo Tax and it won''t let me complete this without putting a minimum of $1 in box 1. What do I do? Are my W-2''s correct?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  jgordosea replied 9 years ago.


In order to answer correctly we need to know if you changed your work location as well as your residence.

Or, did you keep working at the same job in the same place and fill out a change (or certification) of residency to indicate you changed your residence?

Thanks in advance for the information.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to John Gordos EA's Post: I kept working at the same job. I filled out a change of residence form, which took over a month for them to process. (Before I saw the change in state taxes on my paycheck)
Expert:  jgordosea replied 9 years ago.

Hello again,

Since you did all of the work in one state, the W-2 is correct to show all of the income as coming from that state.

Box 1 is for the federal taxable wages on Form W-2 Boxes 15 through 17 show the state information.

Many employers do not give two W-2s in your situation; but only give two lines of information in Boxes 15-17 on one W-2.

If there are amounts in each of the W-2s for box 16 State wages you could enter that amount in each of the two W-2s Box 1 that have entered into Turbo Tax.

It may also be possible for you to only enter one W-2 in Turbo Tax but to enter both state tax withholding amounts. (I can do this on my professional preparer software; but am not sure about your version).

As you may be aware, you will have to file as a part year resident in each of Virginia and Maryland and show the portion of the wages earned while a resident in the respective state returns. If that information is not on the W-2 Box 16 you will have to use your paystubs (or maybe just a computation if you have steady pay) to figure out the part that was earned as a resident of each state.

I hope this helps for entering the data for income earned in one state with two state withholding amounts.

Best regards.